About Me

July 6, 2011

Cilantro Butter Cornish Hens

My weekend was a bit uneventful. No exciting 4th Of July plans. No family gatherings or grilling. Just an ordinary weekend!


I did, however, go on a culinary adventure. I made cornish hens. The first time I've had them since I was probably 17, when my mom made them for my birthday. I remember how fun it was for us to all have our own chicken. So I finally picked some up and decided to make them for dinner. 


Little did I know, but the entire experience turned into a flood of different emotions-which ended in me just praying they were worth the remorse I was feeling for these dear little chickens that I was prying apart and stuffing. Without all the nitty-gritty details of my mini breakdown brought on by thinking of the poor beheaded chickens in front of me, lets continue!!


I had scoured for some recipes that sounded good. This one worked out for me and there's not much I would do differently. The ingredients are simple:
Butter
Cilantro
Onion
Garlic
Cornish Hen


Really simple! And I didn't use measurements because everything could be adjusted to taste or was simply to add flavor to the dish! 
I sliced the onions, lined them in a 9x13 dish (if you have a roasting pan use it instead) I then minced up the cilantro and added it to a few spoonfuls of room temperature butter. Peel the garlic and slice into big chunks. Here's an idea of everything:



I then proceeded to unwrap the defrosted hens, season with salt and pepper and slowly separated the skin from the body. You can use a spoon handle or your fingers, I used a little of both. Then stuff the cilantro butter under the skin and rub in. See-Easy!! Using the leftover butter brush the outside of the skin and put some into the hen, along with a few chunks of garlic. Place on top of the onions and you're ready to bake!

Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 20 minutes! 

Wah-La! A simple recipe! You can add or take away whatever you like. Turns out the possibilities are endless! I would like to try a citrus chicken recipe-one where it rests on lemons while baking. I'll be trying out more ideas shortly! 

Well, that was my Saturday night! I finally had a chance to get to the store and buy some baskets for the vegetables in the fridge. I get SO tired of seeing tons of bags and twist ties in the veggie drawer so I went out and bought these:



I love them. And for only a dollar each at Dollar Tree! That's right, $2 for an organized looking vegetable drawer. Now if only it were that cheap to organize the rest of my apartment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment